Mindful Living Weekend
March 17 @ 7:00 pm - March 19 @ 4:00 pm
On the third weekend of the month we are open for guests to practice at Morning Sun, you can join for the whole Mindful Living Weekend (Fri evening through Sunday), or for just the Day of Quiet Renewal (Saturday), or just the Day of Mindfulness (Sunday). Our Sangha will hold a recitation of either the Five Mindfulness Trainings or the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings of the Order of Interbeing on Sunday morning. There is also a gathering for the Order of Interbeing members and aspirants on Sunday afternoon.
(Scroll Down to Register)
We have set up a registration form that allows for attending all or part of the weekend program:
- Mindful Living Weekend – Friday 7pm-Sunday 2pm (there is a Saturday morning arrival option too) An opportunity to practice slowing down and returning to ourselves with gentle care, to practice mindfulness with the resident community and to enjoy the beautiful grounds of Morning Sun. The program begins with arrival after dinner for sitting meditation on Friday evening. Wake in the morning to a quiet breakfast before the Day of Meditation and Renewal program (see below). On Saturday night enjoy community dinner and evening practice with a Tea Meditation (Happiness Gathering). Then wake for breakfast on Sunday before attending the Day of Mindfulness (see below). Morning Sun will prepare your meals while you are here, with the exception of Saturday lunch (bagged vegetarian BYO) (more accommodation and meal details are on the registration form).
- Day of Quiet Renewal – Saturday 9:30-4:00 (there is a Friday evening arrival option too) A day to refresh ourselves and have time for quiet reflection and meditation. The day is held in silence, and includes several sitting meditation sessions, a recorded Dharma Talk by Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh, guided deep relaxation, outdoor walking meditation, stretching and silent lunch (bring your own bag vegetarian lunch).
- Day of Mindfulness – Sunday 9:30-2:00 (there is a Saturday evening arrival option too) This day of mindfulness is open for everyone. It will include sitting meditation, a Mindfulness Training Recitation Ceremony, a talk about the practice of mindfulness, outdoor walking meditation, and vegetarian BYO bagged lunch (if you are staying overnight from Saturday your lunch is included in your program and will be prepared by MorningSun).
- Sunday Afternoon Order of Interbeing Gathering After the day ends at 2, there will be a gathering for Order of Interbeing members and aspirants from 2:00-3:30. During this gathering we will blend training in facilitation skills with deep looking into practices and issues pertaining to the OI community.
COVID-19: We are happy to open our doors to the public for these nourishing, heart-felt, and refreshing events. If you have any symptoms or might have been exposed to Covid-19 or other respiratory viruses, we ask that you stay home and practice with us in your hearts. Indoor spaces will be ventilated with windows cracked open and an air purifier running, so if it is cold, please wear warm layers. Face masks are optional so please bring a mask to wear if you would like. Thank you so much for your presence and care.
Accommodations: Depending on the time of year we have several types of accommodations.
- We have several rooms available in “The Barn” (beds for 10-14 people depending on whether folks are alone, or couples, or in a ‘pod’).
- From April through October we also have camping. Our campground is primitive, with flat sandy sites, outdoor showers and outhouses. You must provide your own tent and camping equipment. Campers will also have access to the first floor toilet and clothes washing machine in The Barn.
- You may also choose to commute in and out if you live locally (or book a hotel/airbnb).
Retreat Conduct: There will be periods of silence and periods to enjoy conversations with others. To create a gentle and quiet retreat atmosphere, we practice with the Five Mindfulness Trainings. Meals will be plant-based (vegetarian), and we do not drink alcohol, ingest intoxicants or any recreational drugs. Firearms and other weapons are not permitted in the Mindfulness Center. In order for everyone to feel respected and safe during their retreat MorningSun will not support or tolerate any act of bullying, discrimination, sexual harassment or assault. On arrival each participant must affirm these practices by signing a commitment to maintain retreat conduct.